Thursday, October 27, 2011

My baby is legal (at least in Alberta!)

**I would just like to say that I realize this sounds a bit like a eulogy, but it is hard not write in past tense when you are going back 18 years!!**

18 years ago today I was in the greatest pain of my life, not a drug to be had (I still think they did on purpose, as a hard lesson for a young girl to learn), with two hours of intense pushing, she arrived... my beautiful, wonderful, lovely little girl!  Natalie Elizabeth was born on October 27, 1993 weighing in at 7lbs 11 oz.  She was the talk of the high school that day! LOL 

I was very young, 16 years old, but I had the incredible support of my amazing family and I knew that with that, we would be just fine! 

Natalie was quite an easy baby, and even though we have had our moments, she has continued to be an easy child all the way through!  Natalie was never a girly-girl, HATING the colour pink and never really playing with dolls; Her favourite toys were dinosaurs and horses and by the age of three, she knew how to pronounce the name of any dinosaur that ever roamed the earth!  Natalie's very favourite dinosaur of all was the big purple kind...Barney!  She was obsessed with him and anything to do with the show!  I can't tell you how many times I had to hear that song..."I love you, you love me, we're a great big family..."!  There was nothing more important in her world than Barney...well, except maybe Pops!!  Pops is the name my step-dad, Pat, acquired when my nephew, Avery, was little.  My children have never called him anything but Pops!  Pat and Natalie have a very special relationship, probably in my opinion the most important to her.  When Natalie was a baby, Pat took the night shift, getting up in the middle of the night with her, feeding, changing, burping, rocking!  He played such an important role in her life and bonded with her like nobody else was able to.  When Natalie graduated, we were asked to have someone important in their life write them a letter, and I never thought twice to ask Pat to write that important letter to her. 

Natalie started kindergarten young, as an October baby, she was only 4 years old going in, and to this day it is the biggest regret of my life.  She struggled through a lot of school, but the one area she never did struggle with was reading! She was reading shortly into Kindergarten and that was always her strongest attribute in school!  In grade five she was tested for her reading level and she was at a University level!  School was not always easy for Natalie, but this past June she graduated from grade 12 and it was such a proud moment in my life!

Dinosaurs were not the only animal she has loved!  Horses have been her biggest passion in life!  She has always loved horses and had the chance to start riding when she was about 8 years old.  She took lessons in Lloydminster at a stable and when she turned 9, she joined the Vermilion Light Horse 4-H Club.  She rode her Grandpa Scott's horse, Drifter, for quite a few years until she had the chance to use a very special horse named Jett.  Jett belongs to my Aunty Barb and Natalie has had the opportunity to ride Jett for a few years now.  Natalie and Jett have a very special connection, as did Drifter and Natalie.  I know horses will always be a part of Natalie's life and I hope that one day in the future she will have the chance to have a horse to call her own!

Today I will watch my daughter blow out the candles on her 18th birthday cake and with that in mind I will send her off into adulthood with a list of 18 things to always remember...

1. Always be kind to others
2. NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE
3. It's never too late at night to call your mother
4. Respect yourself
5. Follow your dreams, but live in reality
6. Always keep a few Aerosmith songs on your playlist
7. Don't give yourself to just any old boy
8. Pay your bills on time
9. It's okay to eat dessert first
10. CLEAN YOUR ROOM
11. Always listen your instincts
12. Do not wear too much make-up
13. Remember that you are beautiful
14. Remember your little sister and brothers are still looking up to you
15. Always use your manners
16. NEVER DO DRUGS
17. Always be yourself
18. Life's a Journey, Not a Destination

We love you so much Natalie, we are here for you every step of your journey!

Happy Birthday!

SJ




Some of these pictures have been scanned (and I am not very good with technology!), so a few of them seem a little off kilter!


Going home from the hospital
About 6 months old

My very favourite picture of Natalie!












2 years old





Grade 4


Getting ready for a riding competition (about 12 years old)
Natalie & Jett at 4-H Expo









Going for her interview at Boston Pizza







Grad 2011

Grad 2011

1 comment: