Saturday, November 26, 2011

It never fails!

What, you might ask never fails?  The fact that every time I take my children out in public one of them ends up acting like a wild animal!!  Today I had to take Mark into town to take his picture in front of a building in our community (it's a school project), and Greg is at hockey, Natalie at work...so I was left to take all three kids with me!  We went to Webb's Machinery to take some pictures and then headed to the Dollar store to get birthday supplies for Mark & Will's parties.  After that we walked down the street to the drug store where we needed to develop the pictures.  Once we got to the drug store we headed to the get the pictures developed and the entire time I was fighting with the machines I heard a mixture of automated voices telling me to press this, click that, choose this and the voices of my three children begging to sit on my lap, begging me to buy them animal shaped suitcases and giant slippers!  After fighting with two machines, the manager finally took my memory card to his computer and printed me off the two pictures that I needed...and then said they were on the house!!  That was about the one and only bright spot in this story!  While I was fighting with the machines and waiting for pictures to print, I told my kids to go look at the toys (just as a way to get them to stop bugging me) and boy did I regret that decision!  Will found a toy motorcycle that he just had to have!  I told him to put it on his Christmas wish list and put it back on the shelf...he said no!  I told him about three more times and by then he was crying his eyes out and refusing to put it back.  I threatened to spank his bum if he didn't put it back, so he got a spank on the bum and the toy taken away...well, that didn't make him too happy!!!  All the way through the card aisle he cried, all the way through the baking aisle he cried, all the way through the make-up aisle he cried, and then he fell to the floor and just screamed!!!  I was at the till by this time paying for the two other items I had to pick up and told Mark & Grace (who by the way were behaving very well) that yes, they could pick out a treat.  I had two customers behind me as my son screamed at the end of the make-up aisle and my other kids tried to pick out their favourite treats.  I gave the girl my card, and turned to go pick up my screaming kid before I had too many people staring at me!  As I was going to get him, an older lady stopped me and said this to me: "I am so glad you didn't give into him" - my only response to her was "Thank you!" - she then went on to say this (all the while Will's face is turning red from screaming): "It is a sign of good parenting, too many parents feel sorry for the kids".  I am not sure I have ever had such a nice compliment.  I told her I was feeling sorry for everyone else in the store because they had to listen to him!!  After I paid for my stuff I went over and picked Will up off the floor and told them to get ready to go back outside into the cold.  Will had gloves that had to be put on him and let me tell you that it was not an easy thing to get them on while he was melting down!  Apparently I didn't get the gloves on quite right because he screamed all the way back down the street to where we were parked at the Dollar Store!!

My children may never see the inside of a store again at this rate!!

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment