Thursday, April 28, 2011

San Francisco...DAY FOUR

I really don’t think of myself as “high maintenance”, even though Greg likes to refer to me as that quite often, but maybe I am a little bit.  I don’t mean high maintenance in the sense of needing my hair and nails done all the time, or needing fancy things like clothing and cars…but here is where I become a little high maintenance:
1.       I like the weather to be just right – not too windy, cold, hot, rainy, etc.
2.       I don’t like most things on menus without tweaking them a little
3.        I don’t like my environment to be too noisy
4.       I like a nice soft bed, with soft pillows and plush blankets
5.       I like my clothing to be comfortable – at all times
6.       I want to eat when I am hungry….and I don’t like to wait!
This morning after I woke up in this rock hard bed with a sore back I was hungry and wanted to go eat…so we went out in search of some good breakfast and found a bar called Jack’s- something –or- other in the old Cannery building (a very famous building in San Francisco), and had the best breakfast ever for only five dollars!  They didn’t have many things on the menu:
·         Eggs, toast and your choice of meat
·         Coffee
·         Juice
That’s about it.  I finally joined the “Clean Plate Club” today with this incredible breakfast!  I do believe we will go there again tomorrow morning, and most likely Saturday as well.  After our breakfast we walked out into the cold, windy weather and headed to the Hyde Pier – the pier that was once the only way into San Francisco, before they built the Golden Gate Bridge – where we got to climb aboard some very old ships that they have restored and made into museums.  We saw an old Ferry boat that is incredibly beautiful, a sailing boat that might be one of the most impressive things I have ever seen and an old tug boat, which I didn’t feel very steady on, so I didn’t spend too much time on that one.  The old sail boat was from the 1800’s and it had pictures and movies that you could watch and it was still filled with the original furniture and such.  A great thing to see here.
After our boat tours we headed for the Hop On Hop Off tour bus and traveled to Union Square where all the shopping is.  You name it, they have it: Louis Vuitton, Prada, Tiffany’s & Co., etc., etc. and Greg asked if we should check out some of these shops – not because he had any intention of buying me a diamond from Tiffany’s, but just because we are one of the 2.5 million tourists to come to this city and that is what tourists do.  I said no way because I have already experienced the “Pretty Woman”  scene in Vegas, you know when you walk into a very expensive shop and the people working there turn around and walk away not even giving you the time of day.  I have realized that you have to look a certain way (very high maintenance) to be taken seriously in those stores, and when you walk in holding city maps and comfortable shoes, that is a dead give away that you are just a tourist coming in to gawk. 
Only three blocks away from Union Square is the Tenderloin and in the Tenderloin is a little restaurant named “Dottie’s True Blue Café”, and I have been waiting to go there this entire time!  I watched the episode of “Drive-in’s, Diners & Dives” on the Food Network and this place was featured.  This little café only seats forty people, but after being in there I would have to say that number is a little high!  We stood in line – like they said we would – on the sidewalk for about a half hour.  We were told that on Saturday and Sunday, the line goes right to the next block and it will take up to two hours to get a seat!  As we stood in line, we were greeted and quite entertained by a very flamboyant middle aged man who was wearing a leather vest with a diamond tiara broach!  We eventually got two seats at the counter and had to decide just what to eat.  We had front row seats of the owner cooking right in front of us, and it all looked so good it was nearly impossible to decide what to eat.  I opted for the “True Blue Plate” – bacon, eggs, toast and potatoes – but I regret not getting the French toast with fresh fruit that the people next to me ordered.  My meal was so-so, but the toast was Jalapeno toast (and that was not mentioned on the menu), so I didn’t eat that.  After I ate all I could of my meal, I decided to order some coffee cake that was made fresh that morning by the owner – he bakes all the baked goods that morning – and they warmed it up and poured icing on it!  It was gooood!  If you want to check out Dottie’s online you can just Google “Dottie’s San Francisco” and it should take you to YouTube and show you the clip from the episode it was on.
We walked back to Union Square and caught the bus to come back to our hotel.  At about 2:30 p.m. we walked into our hotel room and I was so tired that I needed a nap!  My head hit the pillow and I didn’t wake up until almost 6:00 p.m.!  We are going to go out for supper after American Idol tonight and check out the night life in San Fran, since we haven’t been out at night yet!
I am not sure yet were we are going to eat tonight, that is still undecided, but we might walk to Little Italy and check out some of the restaurants in that neighbourhood.  We will watch American Idol, I will get my Steven Tyler fix for the night and then we will be ready to rock’n’roll!!
SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment