Wednesday, April 27, 2011

San Francisco...DAY THREE

You know the feeling you have when you have the day after your have gone horseback riding for the first time in 15 years or done aerobics when you are really out of shape?  I have that feeling today!  I can hardly walk and I am so incredibly tired!  I realized that walking around San Francisco all day and then going to Alcatraz – which by the way, walking up to Alcatraz from the ferry is the equivalent to climbing a 13 story building – is not a good idea!  Not only are my legs aching, but my hands are soooooooo sunburned that I really probably should seek some medical help.  The good news though is that I didn’t wake up until 9:30 a.m. today, which was much needed but didn’t seem to make a difference – I was still sluggish all day!  This vacationing is an exhausting past time…good thing I don’t do it very often!
Once we got up and moving today, we went out to find some breakfast and went to some so-so diner and then found the “Hop On Hop Off” bus tours and bought some tickets and caught the bus just before it left.  We had no idea where we were off to, but to our delight it was Sausalito, just across the Golden Gate Bridge.  We had about one hour to spend there and it reminds me of my very favourite place – Hornby Island, B.C. – it was a great place to see!  Once back in San Francisco, we were taken around to some of the same places we saw on our tour yesterday, but we finally made it to one of the places I really wanted to go to – The Ferry Building – a marketplace that is downtown and not much of a tourist attraction, much more of a local market place.  There was one place in the market that I really couldn’t wait to visit, a small bakery named Miette (which means “little crumb” in French).  I bought a cupcake and some souvenirs to take home with me and took a whole lot of pictures of this bakery.  One more thing most of you probably don’t know about me – my biggest dream in this world would be to open my own bakery like this one!   I was just smitten with this little bakery.
We hopped back on the bus after our Marketplace visit and headed back to Fisherman’s Warf because we were just spent – and it was only about 4:30 p.m.  We thought we had better eat some supper at that point because we knew that once we got back to the hotel, there would be no leaving for the night! There are so many places to eat in this city, however knowing just which ones are worth going to is not always that simple.  We decided to go back to on place we already knew and love – Bubba Gumps!!  Let me tell you just what the USA does way better than Canada…FRIED CHICKEN!!!  I am so in love with the fried chicken down here!  Once we were done with Bubba Gumps, we dragged our tired butts back to our hotel, which is about a 20 minute walk on a good day, and once we were back in our room, I put my sweat pants on and climbed into bed!  We watched a movie and now have American Idol playing as I type away.  As soon as I lift my hands off this keyboard, I will lay my head down and close my eyes until tomorrow morning.  We have a big day planned for tomorrow with lots of stuff to still see and not that much time left.  There are a few walking tours we would like to take, as long as our legs will hold out for another day or two, and we still haven’t had the chance to ride the trolley cars, so hopefully that will all happen tomorrow! 
Good Night!
SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment