Sunday, May 1, 2011

San Francisco...DAY SIX....last day!

Well, our trip has come to an end and I have had a great time!  Yes, I have been cold, hot, tired, sore, hungry, full, but through all that this has been one of the best trips I have had!  We want to bring our kids here next time we come though…there are so many things we want to show them! 
This morning we got up and packed our bags but we had until 12:00 to check out and 4:15 to leave for the airport, so we decided to leave our bags in the room and go out for the day to do the few things that were left on our list to do.  As usual I put on my scarf and jacket and we headed out of the hotel, got about ½ a block and I had to turn back to change my clothes!  Out of all the days that we have been here, this is the first one that is actually warm, make that hot!  Thank goodness for the breeze, but it is only a breeze, not the insane wind that it has been!  Maybe Mother Nature knows it’s the weekend and has decided to treat the people with amazing weather!  This is the first day that you haven’t been able to surf on the ocean, but instead sailboats were all over the water.  Today was the first time I went out with no sweater or jacket.  Today is the first time I said that I was hot!  I am happy that we were here throughout the week though, because for the first time during our trip I would say there are way too many people here now!
After I changed my clothing, we walked to Lombard Street – the Crookedest Street in the world!  It is very neat to see and I would suggest you Google it if you don’t know what it is.  We could have taken a trolley up to the top of it, but we decided that we could just walk to the top…STUPID!  I am amazed they haven’t used this as part of the Amazing Race yet…it would be a good one!  Imagine hiking up three city blocks…straight up!  It is so steep that they would make a killing if they had a chair lift or a tow rope!  Once we got to the top of the second block there it was, the Crookedest street and after sat down to have a rest and let my heart rate get back to a normal rate, we continued to the top of the crooked street.  This time there were steps, which for some reason I thought would be better than walking straight up a sidewalk, but these steps are bizarre and tiny….like a half step.  I felt drunk going up them and had to hold on the railing because I was beginning to get a little woozy going up.  Once I reached the top I looked down toward my purse, which at one time had my sweater hanging off of it…no more though!  If I didn’t really like that sweater I would have just left it wherever it fell off, but I do like it!  I hiked down the tiny stairs until I saw that someone had picked it up and hung it over the railing for me.  I retrieved my sweater and made my way back to the top.  Some kid should really open up a lemonade stand at the top of that street – it would probably pay for his college!!
Going down the streets is obviously much easier than going up, but I wouldn’t want to be wearing high heels going down!  Both Greg and I have had some pretty bad shin splints from the trips down the streets.  It is worth making the trips up and down the streets though, just to take in all the amazing houses and architecture in this city!  Just a side note, I have not seen one single overweight local here in San Francisco!  I can’t imagine you could be overweight when you have to walk up and down those streets every day, and I imagine most people would have to walk them as parking will run you about $60,000/year here!
After our hike today, we went for lunch and then went to Ghirardelli to buy some chocolate for souvenirs.  We came back to the hotel, packed our bags and put them into storage for a few hours.  We had about three hours to do anything left to do.  We realized at that point that we didn’t have too much left to do!  We checked out an old arcade museum where we played some games and watched on game called “English Execution” – how gruesome – and Greg played a game he used to play in the Peace River Bowling Alley.  We strolled along the piers and sat down to do a little people watching.  We wrapped up our time in San Francisco with a special treat that we have been saving for this last day – a Ghirardelli Ice Cream Sundae…MMMMMMMM!
We are sitting in the lobby of our hotel as I type this post, waiting for our shuttle to pick us up and take us to the airport for our trip home.  I am looking very forward to getting home, to seeing my kids and being in my own house, my own town. 
Tony Bennett may have left his heart in San Francisco, but I left my heart at home!
SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment