Sunday, May 15, 2011

We're just born with it...

I just read the comment my Great Aunt Hildred posted and it was about happiness (and Vitiligo) and she said that she thinks I have a happy soul, and she is right!  I have learned recently that happiness is 50% genetic, 10% from material items and 40% from things such as volunteering and helping others.  I must have some pretty good genes because I can say without question that I was born a happy person! 

I think my happiness shines through in one big way...my smile!  I believe that smiling is the greatest thing you can do when you first see someone...even if they are a stranger.  Have you ever smiled at someone and seen what happens?  They smile back (unless they are the poor souls who were not born happy...and believe me, I know some of those people).  We all love to see a baby smile, it automatically makes you happy, and I don't think it's any different when we see an adult smile at us...you just can't help but smile back.

The idea that only 10% of our happiness comes from material things makes perfect sense too.  I think that most people believe it makes up a much bigger percentage than that, thinking that if we only had that bigger house, that better vehicle, that nicer wardrobe, we would be that much happier.  I have learned over time that happiness has very little to what we have and more to do with what we do and what we believe.  I have lived under the poverty line as a young single mother and I have also lived a very comfortable life as a married woman with a one and two income household.  I have a beautiful house (that is too big at times), a nice vehicle (that is aslo too big at times) and more clothing in this house than any mother ever wants to wash!!  My kids have toys coming out of their ears, movies, video games, bikes, and books.  We have more than I ever dreamed I could have and I am now starting to get rid of it.  Of course I will not get rid of my house, but so much of what's in it is starting to find new homes.  There are certain things I will never get rid of, such as the quilt my mom made me years ago or the cross-stitched wedding gift my Grandma Duguid made for us or the handprint Natalie gave me for Mother's Day when she was 5 years old; those things I will treasure forever.  The things that are leaving my house, destined for other homes are things such as platters, divided trays, books that have been read - or those that have never been read, clothing that is too small, too big or too ugly, lamps, toys, etc. I took two truck loads to the Playschool here in town, because they held a Fundraiser Garage Sale yesterday.  I told myself to just stay away from the garage sale, but I just couldn't, so I went to see what was there.  There was A LOT of stuff piled into that gym, but I only came home with a tricycle (which I have been looking for since both Greg and I ran ours over on two seperate ocassions!), a box of barbies for the day home kids (because there is no way on God's green earth that Grace is giving up her barbies for the day home...I am still working on the generosity thing with her!), and some books which just happened to belong to a good friend of mine (and I am sure I could have read them for free before this garage sale, but I paid for them...because it's a fundraiser!).  I bid on a few items at the silent auction too - Boston Pizza, Pizza Hut and an oil change, all things that would be used up and not have to sit around my house; I am not sure yet if I won any of them though...but I don't think so! 

The third part of happiness is said to be the volunteer work we do and helping others...a whopping 40% of our happiness comes from that!  I now understand why I keep volunteering for stuff...it just makes me happy!  I have always volunteered for things...except washing dishes or cleaning houses!!  I was an "In- School Mentor" with Big Brothers & Big Sisters when I first moved to Lloydminster, after that I joined the board for Big Brothers & Big Sisters and sat on it for 7 years; I was the president of Vermilion Play Development for two years, classroom convener for one year and when I return to playschool in the fall with Will, I will be vice-president for most likely the two years that he is there;  I have just joined the indoor playground's board, as "toy master" (which really does sound like a fun job!);  I have volunteered in nursing homes and hospitals;  I was manager of Mark's soccer team for one season (the one and only time I was able to drag him to the field) and I am currently the Beaver's leader here in Vermilion.  I have always stepped up to do my fundraising and volunteering hours for all activites as well (and by golly, there is a lot of fundraising that goes along with kids activities!).  I have never been shy about volunteering my time and I hope to get my kids to start volunteering in some way this summer, as I think it is one of the most important things we can teach our children.  I have often thought that perhaps I just wanted to "belong" to something and that is why I was always volunteering and joining things, but now I have realized that I do it simply because it makes me happy!

So, don't forget to be happy and smile...it really is contagious!!

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment