Thursday, February 3, 2011

Just call me Mom

Am I really that much like my mother??  Yes, I probably am!  My little sister has known this all along, and loves to tell me how much I am like mom.  We grow up thinking (and shouting) that we will NEVER be like our moms, but then we always seem to turn out just like her!  How though is it that I am like her, but my sisters are not?  There are certainly many differences between my mother and I, such as that the fact that my mother actually enjoys cleaning and I would rather pull the hair off my arms than pull the rags and the bucket out; she does not enjoy driving in snowstorms - or bad weather - and it doesn't bother me at all; she can sew and I can't even thread a machine (she questioned me as to why I even have one if I can't thread it); she is a right wing conservative, I have a bit a bleeding heart (though I do tilt to right on some things).  As many differences as their are, there are some real similartities too...she doesn't like heights (that is an understatement) and I had to get the carny to stop the ferris wheel last summer when I went on with my five year old because we had moved one spot and I was crying and ready to throw up - Grace stayed on with some teenage girls; she is an amazing baker, I am following in her footsteps; she is not a world traveler, and quite happy to be that way, so am I; we have a lot of the same facial expressions and I catch myself talking just like her; you can find us both in bed very early...the list could really go on and on and on.  I often tell people that I am NOT like her, but deep down inside I know I am really just a litte clone of my mother.  Probably the best compliment I have had in regards to being just like my mother came from my Aunt Jan, she told me I have a 'Sparkling Personality'...just like my mom!!  I will take that anyday!

My daughters are really nothing like me (except the fact that they look like me), Natalie is an animal lover and not so much into kids, she likes to stay up very late and sleep in very late, she if very confident in herself - all of these are opposite to me.  Grace is a very bossy, organized, responsible, five year old girl (I will say the one thing we do have in common is our absolute love of babies) - again, nothing like me.  It will be very interesting to see my girls as grown women and I will be interested to know if they turn out anyting like me.  As for my boys, they better hope they marry someone just their mother or they might be in for the shock of their lives when a woman doesn't dote on them 24/7!!!

As much as I a might poke a little fun at being like my mother, I have to say that I have the best mom in the whole wide world.  She is always there for me, full of advice or a shoulder to cry on and she has a sparkling personality to boot!!!

SJ

1 comment: