Saturday, February 26, 2011

Reality Bites!

Last night I was flipping through the channels on the t.v., waiting for "Say Yes to the Dress" to come on...and the reality show DC Cupcakes was on....reality??  Really??  I have to question whether or not there is any reality in reality t.v. anymore?  I remember when Survivor first started, the Grandfather of reality t.v., and it was real - but only for that one season.  I am not sure what came next in the long list of reality shows, or which ones are actually anything close to being real.  I am not a huge fan of those shows anyway, but I know some people who live for them!  I used to love Jon & Kate Plus 8, until Kate had her makeover and the whole show went downhill (I do think the first two seasons of that show were prettty real), I like The Amazing Race...not sure if too much of that is staged or not?  My one guilty pleasure, I have to admit, was Rock of Love, with Bret Micheals...I know it was a bad one!!  I have watched my fair share of reality shows, only because they out number the sitcoms and dramas these days.  My favourite one is House Hunters...even though I know every bit of that is staged too; do you know that they have already purchased the home before they even begin the filming process, so the other two homes they look at are just for fun.  Wouldn't it suck if they actually fell in love with one the "staged homes"!!  I do love Say Yes to the Dress...what girl doesn't love watching other people try on wedding dresses all night long?  Greg has started watching the ones about auctions and storage lockers...they are pretty good too, though you know darn well they are all just acting.  I just about forgot about my newest fave...Hoarders!!  I think I like it best because it makes me realize that my house is really not that messy after all.  I have only ever seen Jersey Shore once...just out of curiosity, I don't watch the Bachelor dump all the girls, I do love Big Brother though...it's a good one.  I should probably get my name on the list for The Biggest Loser's next season and perhaps I should try out for American Idol, if Steven Tyler remains a judge next year (I can't sing to save my life, I just want him to kiss me too when he kicks me off stage!). 

Maybe I should grab my video camera, if I could actually find it, and start filming my days of looking after kids, running them here, there and everywhere, trying my darndest to keep my house in some semblance of order, cooking, eating, trying to lose the weight that just keeps coming and coming and coming.  Perhaps somebody would see it on YouTube and make us famous!  Would they pay me a lot?  Would they give me a makeover by season 3?  Would they send us on great vacations just so they could record my three year old melting down in airport security?  I really don't think the reality that is my life is exciting enough to get a 8 p.m. slot on TLC or NBC, but you never know...I suppose this is as real as it gets!

It is 4:45 a.m. right now and I am sitting here in my mumu, drinking iced tea and typing on my computer (I was sleeping up until this point).  My daughter woke me up because she had to go pee and when I climbed back into bed I realized that my seven year old son was in the middle of my bed, my husband was snoring, I was sweating and my undies seem to be shrinking (or is it that I am still growing), so instead of pushing Mark's knees out of my back, trying to get Greg to start snoring, fanning myself while pulling wedgies out, I decided to come sit at my dining room table with a big glass of iced tea at my side and blog about the reality of my life. 

The reality is that I have to spend all day tomorrow (Saturday), which is actually today, since it is past 4:30 a.m., cleaning my house, getting groceries, delivering my kids to the places they need to be, organizing my stuff , cooking for my family, etc., and I have to do it all myself since I don't have an entourage of people cleaning, cooking, looking after my kids and getting my house staged to look like I have done it all myself...no, I will be the one to do it all...I assume that is just the same as all of you who are reading this blog right now!  Just regular people, living regular lives in our own realities. 

SJ

P.S. If anyone would like to nominate me to be on TLC's What Not to Wear, please feel free to do so!!  I could use a $5000 shopping spree in NYC!!

1 comment:

  1. Sara...that was great!!!! LOL definitely think your life would make a great reality show!

    ReplyDelete